Auditions & Membership
Auditions for the 2012-2013 concert season
Thursday, August 23 and Friday, August 24, 2012
Packard Hall, Colorado College
Auditions are by appointment only.
CVAE is a 24-28-voice volunteer chamber choir dedicated to performance at the highest professional level. Membership in CVAE is therefore based on strong musicianship, mastery of vocal technique, and the ability to commit to a demanding rehearsal and performance schedule.
Individual auditions for the 2012-2013 season will be held on Thursday and Friday, August 23 and 24 in Packard Hall on the Colorado College campus. Call-back auditions will be scheduled on Tuesday, August 28 between 7:00 and 9:00 p.m., by section. For more information about the audition, or to schedule an appointment, contact Deborah Teske at firstname.lastname@example.org
$50, paid annually by all singing members
Regular rehearsals are every Tuesday from 7:15-9:45 p.m. and one Sunday per month from 4:00-6:30 p.m. Additional sectional rehearsals are scheduled as needed. Dress rehearsals are usually the day or evening before a performance.
1. CVAE performs 4-5 regular season concerts per year, as well as special events, and run-out concerts to other communities in Colorado.
2. Performances during the summer are considered as scheduling allows.
3. Occasionally CVAE will undertake a more extended tour, but only with sufficient advance planning and singer availability.
4. CVAE makes itself available for bookings at events such as parties and conventions. These often do not involve the full membership.
Audition, Re-audition and Evaluation of Members
1. Auditions are held annually for vacancies in all sections.
2. New members are accepted for a one-year trial period. After the first year, re-audition and evaluation will determine continuing membership.
3. After the trial year, all continuing members of all sections are re-auditioned in alternate years.
4. In any given year, irrespective of the re-audition cycle, significant areas of weakness or concern, such as poor rehearsal attendance or lack of individual musical preparation, can result in the singerís place in the group being opened to audition as a vacancy.
1. Sing two prepared pieces that fit the following criteria
Both songs must:
- Be from art song, oratorio, opera, or folk song literature. No pop or Broadway.
- Represent contrasting styles (e.g. one opera aria and one folk song.)
- Demonstrate range, good pitch, and strong musicianship skills
At least one of the songs must:
- Be in a language other than English.
- Demonstrate ability to sustain a legato line.
An accompanist is provided. You must sing with live accompaniment. No taped accompaniment or acappella performances.
2. Audition will include sight singing, pitch memory, and vocalization exercises to test range and vocal control.
3. Callback auditions by section are scheduled following the individual audition. These are used to determine the best blend and ensemble for each section.